Tuesday, August 7, 2007

i just wanna be IT-savvy..

i must write this down..

i started my own business in feb1993 when the internet was still largely alien to most of us..
well, yes i was already introduced to pc-usage during university but that was only one subject out of the 5-yr course.. and i didn't like it very much at all!! oh my.. cross-tabulations of many tables..!! the very technical pc gave me low self-esteem then..

by the time i was employed straight out of college in early 1989, CADD was just being introduced among the technical support staff ie. the draughtsmen in my then architectural department.. design & drafting done by the push of some buttons was intimidating even for on-lookers like me.. therefore i'm not sure whether the internet was already in existence back then coz i'd try my best not to be involved in anything pc or IT..

with these limited IT-background, i now wonder why did i purchase a pc and a fax-machine as soon as i tendered in my 24-hr resignation letter and ventured out on my own searching for my dreams..?? i was confused, angry and frustrated with my then predicaments.. i just wanted to design and play around with colours.. but that didn't sound like something a degree-holder should be doing..!!?? but what the heck, i just wanted to do something creative with my hands and mind.. i guess the pc and fax-machine would make my venture look more 'professional'..!! :))))

the next seven years with my pc only saw me using it for letter-writings, quotings and very simple & basic 'tablings'.. i heard of some friends and former colleagues having their own email addresses and would get a little bit intimidated by my almost total lack of knowledge in the internet.. but my life back then was focussed on getting orders and delivering them on time, and i was happily and efficiently doing that by communicating and transacting through faxes and other 'old-fashioned' ways.. i was contented!!

then year 2000 came.. and my ex-school-mates were planning our first grand reunion after leaving school.. it involved more than a hundred of us living/working all over the country and therefore, it was naturally suggested by those internet-savvies among us to use the internet for fast&efficient organizing and communicating.. i offered to be the master promoter, and later persuaded hubby to create an email-address for me.. all the while not telling my ex-schoolmates that their master promoter had never entered cyberspace before!!

it took me a week to finally learn how to open my yahoo-mails.. ;)) and another few more weeks to successfully open any mail-attachments.. i was all scratching, crawling and kneeling the next few more weeks.. but the excitements leading up to the reunion motivated me to face up to my insecurities.. and later after everything was over and many years passed by, i discovered that in my on-going quest of overcoming my IT-insecurities, there are now still plenty more of my friends that feel the same way as i felt, pre-internet..

it hasn't been smooth-sailing, me and my IT-knowledge.. most of the time my lack of patience with any technical glitches would see me 'abandoning' my pc for weeks.. those technicalities dampened my spirits, so to speak.. and what is a designer without spirits aka passions...?? i'd see myself going back to basics countless times, enjoying again those time-tested and trusted traditional ways of doing things.. we humans have survived without pc and the internet for centuries, right...???

mmm.. writing these down really has taken some time.. must go now.. will write again later..

No comments: